Re: [OM] Zuiko 100mm varieties

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 100mm varieties
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:32:38 -0600
At 01:58 AM 3/21/2002 -0800, you wrote:
 I was originally thinking
that I could sell the 100/2.8 if I got the 100/2 (yeah, right!), but now
I'm pretty sure that I really wouldn't want to.  The 100/2.8 is so
perfect for backpacking, since it's so small and light, that I really
couldn't justify lugging around the extra weight of the 100/2.  Anyway, I
was wondering how others used this lens?  When do you feel it's worth
carrying the extra bulk for that additional stop?  I must admit that I
already like the f/2 a lot, with all that glass and all those aperture
blades, and I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Mark Marr-Lyon

You're gonna get plenty of opinions on this one, Mark. I've two responses.

First, a faster lens isn't just _faster_ but rather (hopefully) an entirely different lens. The Zuiko 100m f/2 is world class all around, for what that might be worth.

I cover 100mm focal length with

100/2.8
35-105/2.5-4.5
85-250/5

I also have an 85/2 and a 90/2. I don't consider this to be too redundant because the situations in which they have each proved useful are not precisely the same. I would urge you to live with both for a while. Like the man said, whether a lens is right for you depends on more than just the lens.

Joel W.