[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3228

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3228
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:33:39 -0600
>olympus-digest        Tuesday, March 19 2002        Volume 02 : Number 3228

>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:15:30 -0700
>From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] One of those more 'what to take on trip' questions..
>
> I've got an trip back home to the UK.... I thought I'd ask the
>list for advice on what to take..
>
> thanks,
>
> -- dan

In case this might be of some interest for those taking trips, here's what
I took on my two visits to the UK.

First trip, by rental car, England and Scotland (1984):

OM-1n
OM-2n
21 f/3.5
50 f/1.8
100 f/2.8
300 f/4.5
Polarizers to fit all lenses
Tripod
T32
5m flash cord and connector
Sekonic L28 Studio Deluxe meter
Rolleiflex E w. 3.5 Planar
Stereo-Realist camera

When the sun was out there was a polarizer on the lens.

I shot only Kodachrome 64 in the OM's and the Stereo, Verichrome Pan B&W in
the Rollei.  Especially for Britain, with the variable weather, I took only
prime lenses for their speed.  Most of my pictures were with the 50 and
100, and quite a few were shot at maximum aperture on dull days (one of
which resulted in a record cover that paid for the trip).  I was shooting
for possible stock sales, so as much as possible took three frames of every
shot, to have multiple originals, using the Sekonic meter readings, NO
bracketing (I shot a lot of film as it was!), OM-2n on manual only.

Second trip, by rental Honda VFR 750 motorcycle, England and The Isle of
Man TT (1993):

OM-1n
OM-2S
21 f/3.5
50 f/1.8
100 f/2.8
300 f/4.5
Polarizers for all lenses
Graduated filter for blank skies
Vivitar tripod
Olympus Stylus for color neg snaps (I was sad I didn't have the room to
take my Stereo-Realist again, but it requires a separate meter and couldn't
spare the space for that either)  Love that Sekonic!

Polarizers on lenses when the sun was out.

Only shot Kodachrome 64 or Ilford FP4 so I could expose either at 80 ISO.

Was again lucky to sell enough photos to pay for the trip.

For me, zooms are either too slow or too bulky to haul around, especially
on a bike (and since I almost always use a polarizer for slide film, I
don't like the front of the lens to rotate).  Also, I seem to move into
position for getting the composition I want with the lens on the camera
before even looking through it.  My favorite focal length is 100 mm and my
2.8 Zuiko hardly ever gets stopped down past f/4.5.

Forgive this posting if it is not relevant to anyone, but I thought it
might be fun for some to read of differing photographic habits.

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Univ. of Wis.-Milwaukee
Photo Services