[OM] Sunday Outing, dead OM-2S :-(

Subject: [OM] Sunday Outing, dead OM-2S :-(
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:46:36 EST
Sunny Sunday morning (chilly though), 3 year old and 6 year old that need to
get out of the house. Translation - Zoo! Hmmmm... need to pack light if it's
just me and the two kids. I grab my trusty OM-2S (taking the winder off and
replacing the MD cap and adding the grip 1), 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100-200/5, plus
an OM-2n which belongs to a colleague at work who may want to sell it, so I
said I'd check it out for him.

Get to the zoo fairly early (9:30) - great, the place is empty. First exhibit
up is the zebras - set up a nice shot of the kids with the zebras in the
background, fire the shutter on the OM-2S. Everything seems normal till I try
to advance - the wind lever won't budge, as if it was already advanced.
Hmmmmm. No time to play with it. Rewind the film and shoot the rest of the
morning with the OM-2n, which seems to perform as flawlessly as it looks (I
think I may have to buy this one).

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? The take up spool and sprocket move
freely (the rewind button is down and won't come back up). I tried putting
the winder back on - no luck. The motor runs for a second as if it is
working, but the shutter doesn't fire and the take up and sprockets don't
turn. I'll take a look throught the archives when I get some time tomorrow,
as I seem to recall something like this, or at least similar, being common in
OM-2S's. I hope the fix is simple!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Paul Schings