[OM] From Dirt to Glory

Subject: [OM] From Dirt to Glory
From: "Josh Lohuis" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 16:28:18 -0600
Hi All,

   I don't know if any of you remember when I first joined the list and had
a 50mm 1.8 with a sticky aperture and all kinds of dirt inside.  Well,
because I was bored, I decided to pull it out and see if it would make a
good loupe.  As I was examining it, and deciding whether or not to take it
apart and see if I could put it back together or not, I noticed "made in
Japan" on the front ring.  The person that gave me the working 50mm told me
to look for these and buy them if the price was right.  I have two
questions.  Why is the MIJ version special?  Is it worth enough, in its
current condition (some dirt inside, no fungus, and weird aperture, its slow
on return but not on fire), to warrant its safe keeping as opposed to its
almost definite doom in "workshop".  I believe this "weird" aperture was
talked about earlier, and I must mention that before I joined this list I
took the three screws off the back of the lens, pulled out some other stuff
and cut the spring in half to give it more power.  My solution seemed to
work at the time but did not last.  I was too afraid to go any further in my
adventure and luckily I was able to acquire a free lens to replace this one.
(Thanks again!!) So, what should I do.  Take it apart and hope I can get it
together again, keep it in the box, or...?

Hope I can figure this one out,

   JOSH LOHUIS