Re: [OM] fisheye on the cheap

Subject: Re: [OM] fisheye on the cheap
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:56:36 +0000
Someone else commented to me off list a while back that my fisheye shots
don't look as distorted as others seem to.  My terminology is probably
all wrong here, but I'll see if I can explain what I mean.  The thought
occurred to me that perhaps the 28x0.42 combo gives uneven distortion
across the field; what I mean is that if I've got a 180 degree field of
view, the central 90 degrees could cover three quarters of the frame,
for example.  I'm guessing that with a proper fisheye, a given distance
on film corresponds to the same angle of view all across the field.

The fisheye boat shot was taken on a journey I made between two small
islands in Lake Malawi.  The boat was leaking like a sieve, the sail
ripped in two about half way across, and finally the mast snapped as we
approached the shore.  Every single journey I made when I was in that
part of the world was an adventure and a half!  For this photo, the
fisheye was the only way I could get the whole boat in the frame, but
generally, yes, the fisheye effect is just a bit of a gimmick, I
reckon.  And I've found it's very easy to badly over-use it - restraint
is required :)

Cheers,
Roger