[OM] What did I miss?

Subject: [OM] What did I miss?
From: "Josh Lohuis" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:24:04 -0600
Hi,

  I have redone the way I receive all the messages from this list.  I've
missed everything from:

Wayne Shumaker wrote:

> Yes, that was why my question to Tom. I have a 180/2 that developed the
> slipping, but it still focuses while it "feels" like its slipping. Tom,
> check again.

Hm-m-m-m-m....  Being a cam design, realize that the focusing ring is moving
different element groups at different rates as it turns.  It's normal for
there
to be slight variations in the "torque" needed to rotate the distance ring
as it
turns.

> >I've only worked on a few, but I've made some notes on disassembly -- if
> >you'd like I'll pass them on.
>
> That would be most generous. I even purchased some special grease
> for this purpose, but am reluctant to go in blind.

OK, here goes:  First, remove the rubber ring around the hood.  This will
reveal
some holes (3?) -- turn the hood until the holes are over the set-screws
underneath and loosen/remove them.  Now the whole front group frame will
unscrew,
lens elements inside.

Next, remove the grip on the focusing ring.  Under it is a shield (copper?
aluminium?) taped to the ring -- remove it as well.  This will reveal the
cam
slots for the floating elements (scared now? ;^).  At the front of the
focusing
ring are some more holes -- turn the ring until they're over another set of
set-screws and remove them.  Now the barrel into which the front group frame
was
screwed can be unscrewed as well.

At this point, you're on your own.  You might want to dab a bit of lube
along the
sides of the cam slots in the focusing ring, but not much.  Better would be
little lube where the focusing ring rubs against the body, but I'd have to
see it
again to remember where that is/how to get there -- it must have been so
obvious
that I didn't bother to make notes!

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:14:55 +0100
> From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] IS Experience?
>
> I will try to check tonight; I have the magazine/article somewhere.....
>
> Roger Key

Roger,
If my memory doesn't fail me the iS-3 was tested by Pop Photography in one
of their '93
issues. Probably this is the article you're looking for.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

Did I miss anything in between?  I know it sounds a little obsessive, but
what if I missed something of grave importance.  Could somebody forward me
what I missed.

Send it to: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for all the help.

  JOSH