Re: [OM] What Colour?

Subject: Re: [OM] What Colour?
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:24:09 -0800
Susan Steele responded to Maulers comments about Titanium:

<< Is the blue-grey caused by extrusion a homogeneous state, or is it
only on
 the surface?

 I suspect the blue-grey is a result of surface treatment, not
extrusion.
 The plates look stamped in some places. >>

In it's natural state it is a pale, lifeless grey...if your's is a
deeper
blue-gray then I suspect it has been dipped to etch/prepare it for the
coating process.
<snip>

Something I learned years ago in my material science classes in school,
was that the english language is not adept at describing metallic
objects that are more or less "silver".  I have since suspected the if
the Eskimo's had been metal workers instead of snow experts, the words
necessary might have been created.  Metallic surfaces will begin to
reflect more and more as they are polished to the point that they no
longer have a "color" of their own.  Often a metals color is due
entirely to is surface prep and in some cases the true color can only
then be seen in a vacuum to prevent the oxide that forms instantly in
contact with oxygen.

Titanium is a fairly non reactive metal which makes it resistant to many
forms of corrosion and difficult to paint without serious preps and/or
processes.

To cross thread this subject with the other "What color?" thread that
has developed.  I agree with the BRG and Tan hide suggestions.  But
British sports car enthusiasts will realize that there are at least 12
flavors of British Racing Green.  I had my 1965 MGB painted with the
"Darker, Slightly Black BRG offered by Jaguar from 1974 to 1980" Its
almost as hard to describe the color of BRG as Ti...

Mike Butler
Dublin, California

P.S. Morgan I may take you up on your offer...