Re: [RE: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewe r

Subject: Re: [RE: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewe r photos?]
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:10:21 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:21:49 -0600, Craig Cunningham wrote:

>"Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The only real cure is to do some serious editing, and as
>> Barry says, flex the critique muscles.
>
> I'm getting that impression, yup -- I suppose what I should do is take  more
>notes of which shots I like, and also which ones I _don't_ like, or some sort
>of similar discipline at any rate.

When I got back into "serious" photography after a 10-15 yr lapse, I
spent a year or so shooting everything that moved, and then very
critically reviewing the results to build a framework of what was
working and what wasn't. I'd cull the results and as often as
possible, corral my wife and other photographers to look at the
keepers and give me feedback on what they liked and didn't like.  I
also hit every museum I could, scoured the internet, and joined
groups like the olympus list and the usenet newsgroups. When I go
back now and look at my work from that period, it's remarkable to see
how much progress I made in a relatively short time. Nothing like a
few hundred rolls of film to refine your technique!

>> Here's a question
>> for you: if you have 4-5 shots left on a 36 exposure, do you rattle
>> them off to finish the roll, or do you say, wow, I have 5 more
>> potential good shots left, and try to make each one a worthy shot?
>
> What I tend to do here is try and take a variety of shots of the same
>thing, so that I can see which ones worked out best in the end -- that way I
>can get the new film started sooner, but also have something to think about
>when I look at the prints.

Excellent.

-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx