Re: [OM] Slow aperture on 50/1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Slow aperture on 50/1.8
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:20:52 -0600
The response depends on the particular version/type of lens you have.  If your
lens is one with a "two tone" rear mount (i.e., bright chrome mount attached to
a lighter frosted silver ring in the back), the trouble is relatively easy to
address.  This design is known for it's tendancy for helicoid lube to migrate
into the aperture levers inside the rear of the lens, then into the ring that
operates the aperture blades, finally onto the blades themselves.  Fortunately,
this design, in whatever variety (50mm 1.8, 28mm 2.8, etc.), can be disassembled
and cleaned fairly quickly if you know what you're doing.

The only other standard/wide lens with a solid mount (not those with a "two
tone" mount) that seems to have an occasional problem like this is the 50mm
1.4.  Sometimes a sluggish aperture can be cured by removing the rings inside
the rear end of the lens, but often the lubrication is on the blades as well.
Unfortunately, the front elements of these lenses are sometimes impossible to
remove -- it appears that someone was overly generous with the thread lock
around the front groups, and they just will NOT unscrew!  We've learned over the
years to "cut our losses" once reasonable efforts to open them have proven
unsuccessful.