Re: [OM] Re: 300/4.5 handing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 300/4.5 handing
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:33:37 -0500
At 10:02 3/11/02, Dave Dougherty wrote:
My 300/4.5 has the tripod mount screw on the left.  It is a black nose, SC
with serial no. 141... .  Am I missing something?  Other than the curiosity
of finding that some have the screw on the left, and some on the right; what
difference does it make?

Dave Dougherty

I don't think so. My *guess* is Olympus made two designs over time which are mirror images of each other. In operation I don't believe it makes a whit of difference which side the clamping screw is on.

There *is* a proper orientation for mounting it on the lens, but not (reliably) related to which side the clamping screw is on. The foot should face forward.

Never had taken the ring off my 300/4.5 until yesterday. Not hard to get off once realization sets in there's a detent nub on the inside of the ring that rides in a groove around the lens. As someone else already observed, this keeps the lens from slipping out of the ring when it's loosened. On the bottom side of the lens barrel (opposite the focusing marks), there's a small slot in the groove wall facing the lens rear that allows getting the tripod ring off when the ring's nub is lined up with it. This nub is not centered in the ring. This means it will mount with it riding in the groove properly one way, but not the other. It's far enough off center that attempting to put the ring on backwards makes it fairly obvious that it's backwards.

-- John