Re: [OM] XA 2 problems

Subject: Re: [OM] XA 2 problems
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:29:52 -0600
The XA, -2, -3, & -4 all use an electromagnetic release -- in other words,
there must be battery power to fire the camera.  If the camera can't fire, it
won't wind, so first check the batteries using the lever on the bottom of the
camera.  A steady light and sound = good batteries, a pulsing light/sound =
weak batteries, no light/sound = dead/no connection.  It's best to use two
silver oxides rather than the double lithium, btw.

If you don't get a steady light and sound, check the batteries with a meter.
If they're good, try cleaning them off, and the battery cover and contact,
too -- but DO NOT scratch!  Scratching does more harm than good.  Just wipe,
or maybe polish with a pencil eraser.  If you have the type of battery cover
with a little point in the middle, you might want to scrape the point a
little, but that's the only place you'll want to scratch.

If you get a good signal (light & steady sound), open the back and/or front
and put the camera on self-timer, then press the release.  If the self-timer
beeps for a while, then stops, the release magnet is stuck.  If the
self-timer doesn't start beeping, the wind have have over-traveled, closing a
switch inside that's supposed to keep the camera from trying to release
before it's been fully wound.  In either case, it's repairable.