Re: [OM] Images on line

Subject: Re: [OM] Images on line
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:52:51 +0800
GIF is absolutely not for good quality photo, you get some size
reduction (330r original size). i.e a 640x480 24 bit file is around
900K and a 8 bit GIF is around 300K. The GIF is a lossless format but
the picture quality is largely lost during 24bit to 8 bit conversion.

If you use the original 24bit file and save in JPEG mode I bet you
will get much better result by saving a 640x480 file to a 150K JPEG
file (instead of 300K GIF), select the compression level to achieve
the quality you wanted. JPEG works better with large file, I got very
good quality picture with a 25MB file compressed to 2MB.

You can found some samples from my web:
http://www.glink.net.hk/~olympus/photo.htm

C.H.Ling