Re: [OM] New pic on the net

Subject: Re: [OM] New pic on the net
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 21:49:55 -0800
I think you are taking nice sharp images with your 300/4.5. In addition to the lovely tonality and composition, the image 'looks' like it started out sharp. I agree with what John says up to a point. The digital scan/print process is not ideal. Even beyond that, the emulsion of a 4x6 print just can't (was never designed to) hold all the detail of a 35mm negative.

The next thing which may be confounding you is the the way you are processing them in PhotoDeluxe. You can play with color, contrast and brightness without effecting sharpness, but as soon as you start resizing, you can create trouble. Think about what the software has to do when you resize and it resamples. If you double the size or halve the size, or multiply or divide the size by a whole number, it's task is relatively simple (but only relatively). If you change size by some arbitrary amount the task facing the software is enormous. Retaining clear edges and subtle graduations is often impossible, no matter how clever the programmers were. Try drawing a diagonal line with pixels in a 12x12 array, then 'resize' it to 7x7 or 11x11 or 17x17. Then try 6x6 and 24x24. You'll soon get the idea.

When I first got my film scanner, I printed some scans on my Epson 1270 printer at sizes I wanted which created arbitrary dpis. I got some very strange results, including a sort of posterized effect for one picture, kinda nice, but not what I was trying to do. After some thought I realized what I was requiring the printer software to do. I switched to creating image sizes after cropping that resulted in dpis that are even divisions of the printers 1440dpi. I've never had a problem since.

Moose