[OM] Olympus Centurion S' LCD illumination

Subject: [OM] Olympus Centurion S' LCD illumination
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 03:06:52 +0100
Hello list

I couldn't resist the temptation to buy this nice Olympus Centurion S APS
camera in mint
condition. It arrived the other day, and at first the camera was completely
dead. After I
borrowed the batteries from my iS-3000 it suddenly came to life with a whining
sound that
lasted for an eternity (at least it seemed so). Finally it stopped and I could
check what
had caused this sound. To my surprise I found there was a film cartridge in the
film
chamber! Apparently the camera had started to rewind the film as soon as I had
put the
batteries in. Don't know for sure, but I think the film is only partially
exposed. It's
hard to say because the bottom of the cartridge seem to be somewhat damaged (a
part is
missing), so possibly the whole film is light damaged. The camera does have
'mid roll
change', but I figure it isn't worth the risk to try to put a damaged film
cartridge in
again.

Everything now seem to work ok. That is, except maybe for one thing, the
illumination of
the LCD at the back. In the German manual it says that, after having removed
the lens cap
and put the camera switch in "On" position the LCD light is automatically
activated. Well,
it isn't, not on this camera. It seems the only way to illuminate the display
(for 8 sec)
is by pressing the small light button below the display. If I do this and then
play with
the program buttons it stays on (as it should), but shouldn't also be activated
as soon as
one of the program buttons are touched (from the stand by position)? Is there
anyone who
owns one of these who can tell? How is the LCD illumination supposed to work? I
have a
Swedish manual now as well, but unfortunately it's for the black Centurion (it
was the
only one they had at Olympus Sweden). Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Per Nordenberg
Sweden