[OM] Winder II experiment

Subject: [OM] Winder II experiment
From: "Ian Manners" <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:42:50 +1100 (EDT)
Hi All

having read the thread(s) on winders, I got to thinking of the
winders in my possesion, and decided to strip and lub both
lastnight. As I've discovered, it can be a bit fiddly :-)

I checked both winders on the same OM2n body prior
to disassembling the first winder, both sounded ok to me.
I could feel a small vibration through the palm of my hand
but only as I was looking for it, on both winders.

I proceeded on the first winder, stripped, clean, and lubricate
the motor sleeve bearings with Polydimethylsiloxane, followed
by using Molykote ATM grease on all the cogs, both in on the
flat surfaces and on the teeth themselves. Then reassembled
that winder, and tested on a OM2n, I installed the the uncleaned
winder first, the put the cleaned and lubed winder on

Wow !!!

Smooth, the motor whine was a lot higher pitched, at least twice
the pitch, faster winding, and smooth, and smooth, did I mention
it was smooth ?

Stripped, cleaned and lubed the second winder, bueatiful.
If anyone else tries this, make sure you jiggle the cables
back in so they are not over the motor bearings, and away
from cogs. I also reglued the cables in the base to the silver
cover to ensure they stayed away from the cog teeth.

Also be aware that the lubricates I've used are not your
garden variety types, but special purpose for plastics,
and for sleeve bearings. I have no idea were you would
normally buy them.

Polydimethylsiloxane is a Silicon Fluid formulated for plastic
parts. Molykote ATM grease is formulated for cogs, both plastic
and metal, and is also excellent to place between all surfaces
that slid against each other.

Cheers
Ian Manners

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= 3639 E3AD 8897 3E9A D68D  C340 8D01 2D80 6117 B593

110. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.