Re: [OM] Exterior power source and light for OM4

Subject: Re: [OM] Exterior power source and light for OM4
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:52:21 -0500
After I slept on this "problem", I realized that I hadn't solved my *real*
problem.  I still didn't have a spare set of batteries attached to the
camera strap of my OM 4.

I decided that it's far more important to always have a spare set for my OM4
(not T or Ti) in case I forget to return the shutter speed dial to a red
speed.

(Note to newbies, I'm told that turning an OM4 (and OM3?) to a red speed
[red 60 or red B] is the only way to cut off the voltage to the circuit
board.)

Furthermore, I now agree with whomever said that taking a mini-light is the
least invasive way to light up the LCD window of a 4/3.

So I stapled two blister packs of 376 cells together with my vintage
stapler.  (The old staplers were built to last and this one handled the
plastic/foil envelopes just fine.)

Then, I ran my Domke strap through the slot of one blister pack.  (This is
the slot that stores use to hang the blister pack.)  Done.  If I need
illumination, I can always use the AAA cell powered Maglite "Solitare"
penlight that's been on my keychain for years.

Maybe someday, an auxilliary illuminator will be important to me.  For now,
I'm content knowing I have a backup set of batteries at all times.  Even if
I leave the bag behind and just grab the body/strap/lens, I will always have
a spare set.

BTW, I recently "found" an Oly case originally intended for a single digit
body and a 50/1.2.   Now my 50/1.4 has some breathing room for both the 1A
filter AND cap.  The case even fits with the 28mm/f2 inside.  Sweet!

Life is good.
Lama