Re: [OM] Re: Flash Tutorial 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Flash Tutorial 2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:29:11 +0000
At 01:34 2/15/02, Joe Gwinn wrote:

As the object moves away from the lens, less light from the object falls on the lens, but the resulting image is smaller, and the effects exactly cancel.

The specific effects:
Brightness is inversely proportional to the square of the distance (e.g. 3X as far is 1/9th the brightness). Area from which light is gathered is proportional to the square of the distance (e.g. 3X as far is 9X the area from which light is gathered).

I wrote a special strobe guide number and aperture calculator for use wth any film speed, with up to ten strobes of different guide number ratings, placed at different distances from the subject. It requires the GN rating for each strobe (at ISO 100). Works in feet or meters, provided the rated GN units match the strobe to subject distance units (i.e. if the GN is ISO 100 in meters, then distances must be entered in meters; if GN is ISO 100 in feet, the distances must be entered in feet).

  http://johnlind.tripod.com/science/StrobeCalc/

Wrote it in Quattro Pro and exported it to Excel also. The Excel version may require some reformatting of cells, etc. I don't have Excel here to test it with. If your browser tries to open the file into a browser window, then right click on it and save the file.

-- John