Re: [OM] How far does a copyright extend

Subject: Re: [OM] How far does a copyright extend
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:38:12 +0000
At 22:04 2/14/02, Barry Bean wrote:
This may be of some interest. Does a line drawing taken from a
photograph constitute copyright violation?

http://www.rollinandtumblin.com/evidence.htm

Standard caveats:  I ain't no attorney, etc.

As I understand the definition of "derivative," this fits it and is a copyright infringement if the owner of the copyright has not granted permission or been compensated properly for its usage. The line art simply looks too close in its detail that any claim the [line] artist did not start from the photograph lacks credibility.

-- John