Re: [OM] Re: 3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 3Ti
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:18:42 -0800
Well, I may be an enabler, but not a 3Ti enabler. I just don't get it
The other OM thingy I don't get is the 40/2.
Both have a cost way out of proportion to their usefulness compared to other OM options. I have enough trouble buying Oly stuff I'll never really use without with going things where the value equation is really whacked-out.

An OM-1 and normal auto flash do anything an OM-3Ti can do except spot metering. And it has mirror lock up A 4Ti does anything a 3Ti can do except ambient light balance. And it has mirror/aperture pre-fire. A really nice black OM-1 with CLA can be found for $150 if you keep your eyes peeled. I've picked up a couple, including one serviced by John H shortly before I bought it and another from K&S (For some reason, the cost of a recently CLAed OM on ebay is way less than the cost of an equivalent cosmetic condition camera plus a CLA.)
A nice 4T(i) can be found for around $500 with patience and alertness.
For about $700, I get everything I can possibly get from OMs in 2 cameras that provide back-up for each other. Subtract that from the price of an OM-3Ti and I can buy one or two of those things that actually form the images, lenses.

What in heaven's name does a 40mm lens do that a 35mm doesn't, particularly for several hundered $$? Aren't we talking a couple of steps forward or back for the same coverage?

Moose, who also doesn't quite 'get' 2Ss either, but stands ready to enable on all other OMs.

Peter Dixon wrote:

Good luck guys. I have been completely unsuccessful in resisting this urge myself. Three times, to be exact. And I already had a plan OM-3. I think
the 3Ti is a GREAT camera.

Steve Troy

This is too much - I have a plain 3, and have always told myself I didn't need the 3Ti - now it seems lik ehalf the list is on a "you need a 3TI" kick

Must resist, must resist..........