Re: [OM] PMA show

Subject: Re: [OM] PMA show
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:28:10 -0800
I agree that if you have a project already agreed upon that you should
not wait for the next best thing. Jobs that pay are not something to
wait on the latest technology for anyway, rather they are to perform as
best you presently can with maximum income potential combined with
client satisfaction.

If you're on the buying fence, I would suggest you check with some
professional camera stores that have rental departments. One not too far
from me (about 60 miles) I checked with prior to buying my E-10 did rent
E-10s for around $75.00 or so per day. They also rent the plethora of
pro digital SLR bodies bundled with a decent lenses, batteries, storage,
etc. for around $100-150 per day.

In reading the Foveon imager equipped Sigma body review, it sounds
appealing. But, in reality (in the form used in the Sigma body) it is
apparently a ~6 megapixel imager that sounds more like an incremental
technology step, not a giant leap. Technology will march on. There are a
growing number of good professional digital options. The E-10 and E-20
make a great bridge camera for those who wish to get their feet wet in
the digital world but do not want to take the big leap--yet. Us OM users
(and other non-Nik*n/Can*n users) are the largest group of fence sitters
who could I would imagine. Those who have large investments in Can*n or
Nik*n glass already the choices are much clearer.

I'm anxiously awaiting word on this new digital SLR system Olympus plans
to debut at PMA. However, I also don't mind learning and refining
digital technique with the E-10 (which is a very good bang for the buck
choice) while I continue to shoot film with my OM gear. I'm in no rush
to put all my eggs in the digital basket.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com