[OM] Re: 17" Flat Panel or 21" Trinitron for Zuiko Images

Subject: [OM] Re: 17" Flat Panel or 21" Trinitron for Zuiko Images
From: "Steve Dropkin" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:34:41 -0600
NSURIT@xxxxxxx writes:
The question is which way to go.  Flat panel or CRT.  Opinions please.

LCD (flat panel). But get a decent one (i.e., a name brand you recognize). While I still believe CRTs hold a _slight_ edge in color fidelity compared to LCDs, I don't believe it will make a significant difference to you unless you're in a production environment. In exchange, you will enjoy the desk space a flat panel frees up and the electricity it saves (it uses about as much _working_ as a CRT does "sleeping"). Yoda won't like it, though, because LCDs don't throw off much heat. :-) If you buy an LCD, make sure you can send it back if you find dead pixels on the display. Some warranties are fuzzy about that or permit a certain number of dead pixels before they let you return the monitor. Not that CRTs are immune to damage ... FWIW, I have a Samsung 570V (15") that I really like (much better than the Viewsonic 17" CRT which preceded it).