Re: [OM] Formula for Converting Guide Number

Subject: Re: [OM] Formula for Converting Guide Number
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:21:29 +0000
At 22:32 2/12/02, Dave Dougherty, who sold his "Shipman" book, now asks the question:
Fellow Zuiks,

Guide numbers are usually expressed as a function of 100asa.  As light is, I
think, subject to the inverse square rule, does anyone remember the formula
to convert a GN from 100asa to say 400asa, etc.  I had it in a Shipman book
which I sold, having failed to write down the formula before I did so.

Dave Dougherty

To convert a GN for one film speed to the equivalent GN for another film speed:

  GN2 = GN1 * SQRT(ISO2/ISO1)
    GN1 = known guide number rating at "ISO1" film speed
    ISO1 = film speed for which guide number is known (GN1)
    GN2 = desired guide number for "ISO2" film speed
    ISO2 = film speed for which guide number is desired
    SQRT = Square Root

Example:
If the flash is rated at GN 105 for ISO 100 (in feet), its GN for ISO 160 film is:
  GN2 = 105 * SQRT(160/100)
  GN2 = 105 * SQRT(1.6)
  GN2 = 105 * 1.265 [approximated]
  GN2 = 133 [approximated]

Now use ISO 200 film:
  GN2 = 105 * SQRT(200/100)
  GN2 = 105 * SQRT(2)
  GN2 = 105 * 1.414 [approximated]
  GN2 = 148 [approximated]

  or, the previously found GN and its film speed could also be used
  GN2 = 133 * SQRT(200/160)
  GN2 = 133 * SQRT(1.25)
  GN2 = 133 * 1.19 [approximated]
  GN2 = 148 [approximated]