Re: [OM] It is Here

Subject: Re: [OM] It is Here
From: Pawel Golik <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:42:31 -0500
On Monday 11 February 2002 05:47 pm, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Currently,  you can buy a self-powered iPod with a Firewire 5
> Gigabyte drive, which will download your images and fits in your
> pocket.

How many digital cameras have Firewire? The only ones I know are N* D1 and
ContaxN Digital - not exactly cheap. Even Olympus E-10 and E-20 don't have
Firewire.  And will iPod work with a camera - I've heard that it requires
proprietary software and will talk only to an iMac (not a PC, so how about a
camera).
Another problem I have with digital is batteries - BTW this problem is also
shared by most film wonderbricks. OMs (well, most) require batteries, but I
can easily carry a year's worth in a small pocket. Digitals and wonderbrick
eat bulkier batteries, and faster. Doesn't matter if you shoot in a studio,
or stay in hotels where you can recharge, but on a hiking trip it's not
practical. I'm sure new technologies will solve these problems, but a really
practical digital system is still not there, IMHO. And battery technology is
tricky - laptop makers still struggle do get decent capacity/weight ratio
after all the years of development.
        Pawel

--
Pawel Golik