[OM] Effects of irradation

Subject: [OM] Effects of irradation
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:26:51 -0500
At 1:37 AM +0000 2/11/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:04:05 -0700
>From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] PO zapping mail, follow up
>
>The news media is almost always wrong when they talk about radiation so why
>should this be any exception. /jim

It *is* hysterical nonsense.  There is no residual radiation, and even if there
were it takes twenty years for low-level anything to cause cancer et al.

The irradation is done with a very powerful electron beam, giving a dose of
something like 30,000 Rads.  It takes only 500 or 600 Rads to kill humans;
bacteria are far more durable, taking thousands of Rads.  There is no residual
radiation, but irradiated mail becomes dry and brown, as if it were very old.
Plastic windows are melted into whatever they were touching, etc.  Modern
electronic devices are destroyed.  Film is totally ruined, of course.  This is
no wimpy airport baggage scanner.

Joe Gwinn