RE: [OM] thoughts on catalog photography 3

Subject: RE: [OM] thoughts on catalog photography 3
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 09:49:46 -0500
At 2:17 PM +0000 2/9/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 01:18:23 +0000
>From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] thoughts on catalog photography
>
>At 23:32 2/7/02, Jim Caldwell wrote:
> >Sorry if this is off-topic.
> >
> >I haven't done assignment photography in some time, but I have a job a
> >company wants me to bid on.  They are putting together a web-based catalog
> >and want all their products photographed (well over 100).  The products
> >range in size from cookie-size boxes to a large oven.  The job entails
> >shooting the products, digitizing and removing the backgrounds in Photoshop,
> >burning to a CD.
> >
> >I have no idea where to begin to price a job like this. I plan to shoot 35mm
> >slides (with my OM4t, of course!).  I would appreciate any advice any pros
> >out there wish to share!!
>
>Have you given any thought as to lighting and film?
>
>Most catalog work requires highly accurate color rendition, and high
>consistency across the products.  Kodak makes Ektachrome EPN (ISO 100) for
>this type of work.  Some like it and some don't.  Although very accurate in
>color rendition, it appears to be somewhat "flat" for general purpose
>use.  This might be ideal for catalog work if photographs of the product
>need to closely match them.  Even though E100S has more saturation, it
>lacks color accuracy.  I haven't tried EPP (also ISO 100), but am wary of
>its higher saturation compared to EPN.  You might also explore Fuji Astia
>(also ISO 100) to see if that is suitable.
>
>Those that are finicky about catalog work will calibrate lighting and film
>for very exacting color rendition and work only within a single emulsion
>lot number.
>
>If this is stuff you already know, then disregard all of the above.

I think John is correct that more accurate film is better for catalogs.

To John's comments I would add one more:  Use only incident-light metering, and
put the OM-4T in manual mode.  Reflected-light metering and automation will
drive you nuts, as each picture will look a bit different, and it will be
glaringly obvious when all those photos are published together in the catalog.
It'll look like the photographic equivalent of a ransom note.

Joe Gwinn