RE: [OM] thoughts on catalog photography

Subject: RE: [OM] thoughts on catalog photography
From: "jamesfc@xxxxxxx" <jamesfc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:26:41 -0500
Hi Bill and thanks for your advice.

That is basically what I plan to do.  There are no models, products only. I'm
going to group them by size - smaller up to larger.  I don't believe any of the
products have special requirements (glass, high reflection, etc.), so it should
go rather smoothly.

I've taken the advice I have received concerning billing and I'm going to break
it down into a per-item charge.  There will be ongoing products to shoot every
couple of months and this way the client and I will have already agreed on a
set price.

The shoot will take place at a third party site (the company that is actually
hiring me as a sub-contractor).  They have a large warehouse where I can set up
and put my lights.  They will have all the products there and I just need to
light them and shoot them.

I'm tempted to go digital, but I don't have the equipment and I hate to spend a
large part of the job's receipts on an untested camera that I'm not familiar
with!  So, I'll probably continue to shoot slides as I originally planned.
That way, the client can always use them for print catalogs, advertising, or
whatever without any concerns about using all digital images.

That E-10 still looks mighty enticing though!!

Jim C.