RE: [OM] NOW: SLR Extinction (long) WAS The slow death of OM

Subject: RE: [OM] NOW: SLR Extinction (long) WAS The slow death of OM
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:35:06 -0500
On Thursday, February 07, 2002 at 11:47, Scott Gomez
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] NOW: SLR Extinction (long)" saying:

> I think it would be reasonably safe to say that the 35mm SLR died in the
> 80s, not only the OM series. Here's my reasoning:
> That other "system SLR" manufacturers continue to introduce any new products
> at all is, I think, only a result of the larger market share they gained
> sustaining the viability of their efforts for a longer time.
I think there has been a thriving professional SLR market for Canon and
Nikon over the last 12+ years.
Minolta and Pentax also have had successes with new SLR introductions for
amateurs.

I think digital will kill it, tho, as electronics obviate the mirror as
well as the film. RIP 2004.

tOM
--------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980