Re: [OM] Spot on negs?

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot on negs?
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:19:05 +0000
I suppose that I could use the water from our dehumidifiers, rather than throwing it down the well (disused) or in the iron.

Chris

At 20:29 -0500 5/2/02, Mark Dapoz wrote:
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Vaughan Bromfield wrote:

 4) use only distilled or deionised water for mixing chemicals

This is a *very* important point, one that cost me about 4 rolls of film
to finally figure out.  We have our own well and I figured what could be
cleaner than natural ground water (we have it tested regularly).  I was
constantly getting extremely grainy results regardless of the film I was
using.  I tried changing film and developers and the results were always
the same.  Eventually I switched to using distilled water, and instantly
the grain went back to normal.  The culprit ended up being the water
softener, it adds salt (sodium) to the water when removing calcium.  The
sodium seems to somehow cause the grain in the film to be enhanced.  I now
use distilled water for everything.
                                -mark

--
<|_:-)_|>