[OM] Re: fashion and ringflashes

Subject: [OM] Re: fashion and ringflashes
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:15:43 -0600
"Just for fun, do you know the guide numbers, to compare with the T8 and
T10, which are 8 or 10 (meters, ASA 100)?  Maybe that's how the Olympus
ringflashes were named?"

Joe,

Here we go again, I almost hate to bring up the subject of watt seconds.

These things are generally reflectors that accommodate any strobe head of a
given system, although I think there are some with permanantly attached
flashtubes. Like all pro strobes with separate powerpacks, there are no
published guide numbers. This is a quick way to tell commercial and
industrial guys. Few know GN's. The head is attached to a powerpack,
anywhere from 800WS to 4000 or more, so there would have to be too many GN's
to remember. Most fashion guys who use these have an assistant to hold the
flash meter, and another to pop the flash.

If I had to guess, I would think that they are used anywhere from as low as
25 or so WS up to around 200. This, of course, depends a lot on the
reflectivity of the individual reflector, and depth of field requirements. A
lot of times, DOF is shallow, so it would be low. I have seen where it is
used as a sole light. (That's just one, not for the feet)

As a comparison, the OM flash would be probably less that 10 WS. What I
don't like about the T8 is that it is not very useful past about 8". I would
like to use it as a fill out to several feet.

Bill Pearce