[OM] The son of OM-4

Subject: [OM] The son of OM-4
From: iorik <iorik@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:02:18 +0100
Hi everyone!

I was thinking a bit about Olympus decision to discontinue the OM series
survivors. We know that they kept them alive (sort of) for so long because
they wanted to have some flagship/high-end camera to be respected for. Now
they announced they will stop selling it but this doesn't mean they will be
out of the professional level cameras for long... I think there is a strong
connection between the launch of their rumored full-size LCD digital SLR and
the death of OM-3/OM-4.

The history repeats. In a way there is the same situation as it was 30 years
ago: the professional, cutting-edge cameras of today (digital for that
matter, oh well!) are big and heavy. Well, what do you expect Olympus to do
facing such a market? You are right, they will design a smart, lightweight,
tough, professional photographic system. Remember the FT to OM evolution?
Now we will witness the OM to OD (?) transition. And Olympus will still have
a flagship camera(s).

Bogdan

PS: I bet the body will be made from titanium and it will feature spot
averaging.