[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3114

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3114
From: mcd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 18:39:19 -0500
Hi all

>>>>>>>>>>>>om@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

*Great masters can't play on crap instruments, how then should little
children?* (sorry for the certainly bad translation)
meaning of course that when you learn, it may also be important do get
the feeling and experience of *quality of sound to educate your taste
and imagination and not getting frustrated by poor material. Once you
got the hang of it you *can play on bad instruments and get the hell out
of them to a certain extent just by mental force and by keeping the
stradivarisound ;) in mind.

Great tools are great to have. They easily eliminate the nagging doubt that
tends to arise when working with less than what we feel is necessary. However,
I have known a number of RIT grads that were shell shocked after graduation,
because few commercial studios had all the top of the line equipment that they
were used to using at school. Sometimes, necessity is that mother of invention,
and learning to make less equal more is a good skill. Besides, I don't think
that an OM1 and a couple of lenses is necessarily less. It's just right! I
still use the OM system for 970f my 35mm work. Another funny thing is that all
the pros that use the newer wonderbricks get excited when they hold my OM4.
They love the feel...

As for making music on crap instruments, take a listen to Charlie Parker on the
Jazz at Massey Hall album, a classic. He is playing a toy plastic saxophone.
True, it's Charlie Parker, but boy does that plastic sax wail in his hands.

John A. Lind wrote about bokeh a few issues ago, in which he said that it
should be considered under certain situations. Perhaps after one has built up
an incredible variety of lenses, and different system brands, and has had the
time to get very experienced with the qualities of each, a photographer then
can choose one system and lens over another in order to maximize image quality.
I think that that is better left for studio work, where all your equipment is
at the ready, and the image that your making can be fully thought out before
hand. In the field, carrying limited lenses, why bother thinking about it too
hard? We can all go out and buy the latest Aspherical Leica lenses and a new M6
body and stop thinking about quality. But it seems that we are still here
shooting with our beloved OM equipment. It produces great results.

Josh, start using the depth of field preview lever on your Zuiko lenses. Look
at things using the lever with different f stops. You will get a feel for what
we are talking about.

And make some images!

Mike