[OM] ring flashes 2

Subject: [OM] ring flashes 2
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:31:07 -0500
At 5:58 PM +0000 2/4/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:17:50 -0600
>From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] ring flashes
>
>"Most likely it was taken with a medium-format camera using a 150mm
>telephoto lens (equivalent to 100mm on a 35mm camera) and a big ringflash,
>perhaps Norman.  As I understand it, for some reason, this setup is almost a
>standard for certain kinds of fashion shot; I don't know why, but guess that
>it shows the fabric of her clothes better.  It's actually a very hard light
>compared to an umbrella or a softbox."
>
>Didn't know Norman made one, but several of the European manufacturers make
>a setup for this use.

I recall Norman from the 1980s, but my memory could be playing tricks on me too.

>Generally, it's a reflector where a standard head in
>attached (one of the reasons pro strobes have enterchangable reflectors, and
>why they are rated in WS). It is not like a standard ring flash for a 35mm
>or MF camera, but more like the T8, a wonderful but woefully underpowered
>product. The light is not as soft as a softbox, but much softer than
>something like a T10.

Just for fun, do you know the guide numbers, to compare with the T8 and T10,
which are 8 or 10 (meters, ASA 100)?  Maybe that's how the Olympus ringflashes
were named?

I don't think that T8/T10 is underpowered, I think it's intended for macro use
only.  If one tried to use one of those pro strobes for a macro shot, f/16
wouldn't be slow enough to get correct exposure.

>It's used not for the effect on fabric, but the effect on the model's face,
>combined with overexposure. It gives an almost two dimensional look (an
>exact representation of the model's personality?), and blows out all detail
>in the skin, including wirnkles, freckles, zits, and the evidence of last
>night's drug binge. It's an effect, that goes with a particular style of
>fashion photography. Like any other style of fashion photography, it will
>soon be out of style, and those of us that have other uses for this product
>will be able to get one cheap.

Thanks.  I always wondered.

I haven't seen that many ring-shaped highlights in cover photos recently, but I
recall that the ringflash was more used for newspaper ads, which have low
resolution compared to slick magazines.

>Remember, fashion photography is no longer about showing the product. That's
>for the Sears catalog. Fashion photography is all about convincing the
>consumer what she will look like and the life she shall lead, if she only
>buys that one dress, or pair of shoes, or whatever. They're in the business
>of selling the ability to fulfil fantasy, and there's no Consumer's Report
>to hold them to it.

Well put.  From fantasy come hope.

Joe Gwinn