Re: [OM] Anybody have a 28mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] Anybody have a 28mm?
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 14:38:21 -0800
Josh Lohuis wrote:

> > Josh,
> > go for the 24mm, get a cheap 50/1.8 and an 85/2 or 100/2.8 and you got a
> > basic, very versatile setup. All excellent lenses. Just my 2 cents
> >
> > Henrik Dahl
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
>     What would be better for me, a 24mm, 28mm or 35mm?  I am going to be in
> the bush quite a bit, but I also imagine I'll do other things eg. people.  I
> know the 24 has some distortion but is the (I dont know the real term) angle
> of view that much more than the 28?  I would like to try and stay away from
> zooms.  Maybe I should get a 24 and 35?  Also, is there a BIG difference
> between f/2.8 and f/2? I know its whole stop but is it that important to
> have it?
>
>    Thanks,
>
>              JOSH
>
> PS>   What exactly is Bokeh.

http://www.hudsonphoto.ca/233.html

is an example of barrel distortion using the 24/2.8 ............ convex
horizon of the ocean, but not so evident in

http://www.hudsonphoto.ca/021.html

and not evident at all in

http://www.hudsonphoto.ca/538.html

or

http://www.hudsonphoto.ca/536.html

where my feet are barely out of the photo in 538!

Used carefully the 24/2.8 is a wonderful lens but used indiscriminately
it does have its shortcomings as far as distortion is concerned.

To answer the f2.8 v f2 question ........... the one stop is likely not
worth any additional price you would have to pay and how often do you
shoot wide open.

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC