[OM] mirror lenses, cross processing

Subject: [OM] mirror lenses, cross processing
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:40:42 -0600
I have the 500 Zuiko. Its bokeh is truly repulsive, but the lens still has
its uses. This may interest certain other members of our little group. When
the Confederate Air Force had their annual show in Harlingen (it's just not
the same in Midland/Odessa) I was a regular attendee. I used mainly the 300
and 500, and the shots are virtually indistinguishable. When shooting where
all out of focus areas are either sky or clouds, no donuts! Otherwise, of
course, it makes all shots look like 40 grit sandpaper.

Cross processing is an interesting technique for fine art photography. It
increases the contrast to an incredible degree, and the range of colors is
dramatically reduced. I suspect that you could simulate the "bleach bypass"
effect seen in a recent George Clooney movie and several TV shows, by
underexposing a bit. But first, some advice.

First, beware applying the term fine art photography to your work. The act
can bring a great deal of pretention and suspend too much of your critical
judgement. Second, advice I frequently give young photographers trying
unusual techniques (based on my own youthful experiences): A bad image is a
bad image. No amount of nifty darkroom technique can change that.  I too
often see unusual darkroom techniques substituted for planning, forethough,
or just plain good luck. Never stop experimenting, just be careful what
leaves the darkroom door.

Bill Pearce