RE: [OM] New Snow

Subject: RE: [OM] New Snow
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:25:09 -0000
Dan,

        we maybe don't get temperatures that extreme here in Scotland, but
with windchill and our generally damp air our weather is a notorious killer
of the unwary.

Essentially I stick to the maxim 'keep the core warm'. I layer up my torso
in a light fleece shirt, windproof-lined fleece vest, optional fleece jacket
and down outer layer with Pertex shell. All these are Rohan items, except
the down jacket.

Legs encased in Rohan Winter Bags and feet in two, sometimes three layers of
socks chosen by experience for their warmth, and one or other pair of hill
boots.

Head in a Damart Thermawear balaclava and the down hood. Hands in an old
pair of long-cuffed Damart Thermawear gloves. In between shots I can stuff
the hands in the handwarmer pockets of the down jacket (a Rab Guide Andes).

If it's really abysmal I can put on a waterproof shell and trousers over the
top of all that. It sounds extreme, but when you're standing about waiting
for the light on a mountain you need to overcook it slightly!

I still have all of my fingers and toes....

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk