Re: [OM] Dumb film scanning problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Dumb film scanning problem
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:27:44 -0800
Vuescan will adjust for the orange mask, has profiles for most films built in and a facility to make profiles. It supports some flatbed scanners. You could check if it supports yours. Vuescan <hamrick.com> . I like it and use it instead of the Canon software that came with my FS2710. It's $50 and there is a trial version to see if it solves the problem and works for you.

Moose

Larry Woods wrote:

I decided to try out a filmstrip adapter for my flatbed scanner. I didn't get very far because I hit a problem so basic that I figure
there has to be an obvious solution that I just can't see.

Starting with color negatives, the first thing I want to do is convert
the images from negative to positive.  No problem, I thought, there is
an "invert" command.  But it doesn't remove the orange mask, and the
entire positive image is blue.  For the life of me, I can't find any
option to indicate that I am starting with a negative, and that I want
the mask removed.
I have tried three different programs, Ulead PhotoImpact SE (came
with the scanner), Softkey PhotoFinish (promotional item from Hewlett Packard), and MGI PhotoSuite (purchased, appx $50 retail).
The first two do have features from retail versions missing.

Should the scanner software have a place to tell it that I'm starting
with negatives, and it does the mask removal, or am I being dense and
just can't find the right menu item in all three Photo***** programs,
or am I limited by cheapo software, and need to spend bigger bucks for
a "real" photo program like PhotoImpact?