Re: [OM] room for improvement; alcohol; grease; rear nodal point; full

Subject: Re: [OM] room for improvement; alcohol; grease; rear nodal point; full-frame sensor
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:35:42 -0800 (PST)
AF definitely does have its place (like the
aforementioned long telephoto) as well as large range
zoom lenses. However I think that unless you are a
sports photographer etc. AF is not needed and if you
want something like it a good P&S will fill in better
than an SLR. I mean its a snap to focus a 50mm normal
lens under any circumstances barring complete darkness
(where AF would be competely useless anyway) and
anything up to say 200mm is a snap as well. Wide angle
is even more of a 'joke' since they have such enormous
depth of field. For lenses in the 8-150mm range AF and
IS and such is a gimmick designed to drive up the
price of lenses. Beyond 200-300mm however AF and IS
and such do have a very valid use however. Of course
this is all IMHO.

Mark Lloyd

--- Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>