[OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question

Subject: [OM] OM-1 -- a different metering question
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:44:34 -0700
(I compared the OM1 against my known-to-be-working OM2, and the OM1 thinks I
should have the shutter about four times as fast as the OM2, so I guess I'll
need to do the battery thing).

 Question: as the OM1 only has a fixed number of settings for aperture (at
least, most lenses are like this), and a fixed number of settings for
shutter speed, doesn't this mean I can almost never get the right exposure?

 Say I'm at f8, and the 'perfect' amount of time to leave the shutter open
for is 1/400th of a second. There's no way to get that -- I can get 1/500th
or 1/250th, but not 1/400th, because the speed dial doesn't have that
option. If it happens that the right speed is on the dial, that's great, but
it seems like the majority of the time it'll be between two settings.

 Presumably this is something I don't worry about, and just try and get as
close as I can?

 -- dan