[OM] What is that "brown rubber cement"?

Subject: [OM] What is that "brown rubber cement"?
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:26:26 -0500
At 7:33 AM +0000 1/29/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:45:08 +1100
>From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Refixing Zuiko lens rubber grips
>
> >Since I had no idea what "brown rubber cement" might be I had a go using a
> >rubber gum (basically rubber dissoved in petroleum).  It's often known as
> >"Cow Gum" but this was from another manufacturer and called "Studio Gum"
> >intended for tacking up artists paper removably (and used for pasting up
> >in the days before desktop publishing).
> >David
>
>Legendary stuff, Cow Gum! Bounces when dry and spectacularly inflammable
>(don't ask). But it's not brown rubber cement - the name refers to the use,
>not the components.  You would probably be better off with a yellow
>neoprene type contact adhesive (can't remember English brands - used for
>leather, rubber, cloth and shoe work). Very common stuff - if it's
>yellow/brown and in a tube labelled 'contact adhesive' it's probably the
>right stuff.
>AndrewF

In the US anyway, the traditional brand name is "Pliobond", which is more
towards yellow than brown, but could be called either color.  Pliobond is a
solvent-based rubber contact cement.  It is made by Goodyear, if memory serves.
 There are a number of similar products on the market, but I don't recall thir
names.

Avoid water-based contact cements for use holding rubber to metal (or plastic)
in a camera.  Far too weak, more intended for holding flooring to plywood
subfloors than camera repair.

How to tell solvent-based from water-based?  Read the warnings.  If it talks of
toluene and/or petroleum distillates and the like, it's solvent based.  If it
talks of ecological purity and low volatile organic solvents, it's water-based.

Another alternative, for use if Pliobond fails, is "Shoe Goo", made by Eclectic
Products (technical assistance, 800-767-4667 in the US and Canada only).  As
the name implies, it's intended for shoe repair, but it's used for far more
than that.  It's very aggressive, and I would practice on something
non-critical first.

Joe Gwinn