[OM] Cleaning lenses

Subject: [OM] Cleaning lenses
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:11:57 +1300
Hello folks,

Can I ask for a bit of advice? (of course)

I just got a lens back from having fungus removed - as much as he could get
at. The lens is a Mamiya Press 100mm, and the front element is screwed on
very tight.

The rear lens element lives in a huge cavern surrounded by helicoid threads
etc.. I noticed that the outside surface is covered in a kind of oily film that
you don't see by looking at the lens surface with reflected light, but if the
lens is opened up and a light shines through, it is very obvious.

I tried removing this by huffing on the element and wiping with Oly lens
paper, but that really didn't work. The muck just spread around a bit more.  It
needs an organic solvent. It's go to go - it surely acts like a soft-filter and
don't want that. The 100 has a reputation of being a sharp lens and that's
why I bought it - to yield sharp images.

I wonder if the iso-propanol that is used for cleaning tape recorder and video
heads would do the job without damaging the lens. I think it should - but am I
correct?

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!