Re: [OM] was AF Lens -- which AF OM to consider...?

Subject: Re: [OM] was AF Lens -- which AF OM to consider...?
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:50:51 -0800 (PST)
I agree that the 77 is just a big point and shoot but
there are some positives. The 24mm and 35-70/3.5-4.5
are basically the same formulations as their Zuiko
brothers. The 28-85 and 70-200 are unique and do not
exist in the Zuiko world. The 70-200 is very sharp and
ranked with the N****, M****** and C**** offerings at
that time.

As far as exposure control, I use the sky/ground
method of exposure compensation. The 77 has both
aperture and shutter speed indication in the
viewfinder visible in 1/2 stop increments. So just
point the camera at the sky or ground until you get
the change in exposure you want and press AF lock.
Kludgey for sure but it works.

Warren

--- ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Jim,
> Just be careful from two standpoints-
> 1.- the OM-77 is basically a big point and shoot.
> There is no control over
> the aperture or shutter speed. It has one mode-
> Program. That's it. The
> camera controls everything, and it doesn't even tell
> you what that aperture
> or shutter speed its using is (IIRC). I had a couple
> of them because I was
> intrigued and wanted to experience that part of
> Olympus history, but it VERY
> soon becomes 'not fun' to lug around a large, heavy
> P&S that you have to also
> bring along other lenses. You'll soon ask yourself
> "Why?"  when you can carry
> an OM and Zuiko lenses for more control (and better
> results) over the shots.
>
> 2.- I'd say about 800f all of them have a broken
> or missing battery door.
> depending if its just cracked or broken, you may be
> able to tape it closed
> for your present shooting event, but you'll also be
> replacing the tape
> regularly, since the prssure stretches the tape out.
> If the door is in pieces
> or missing altogether, I don't know how it can be
> used. And there are none
> available from Olympus or anywhere else now. Even
> superglue won't help much,
> since the latching mechanism of the door is very
> weak, that can't be glued-
> it'll just break again as soon as you try to lock
> the door.
>
> Regards,
> George S.

=====