[OM] RE: (OT) Alternative Energy Users - where i live

Subject: [OM] RE: (OT) Alternative Energy Users - where i live
From: Damon Wood <deewhy_au@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:15:16 +1100 (EST)
Hi there Alternative Energy Users,

you are doing a great thing by investigating and becoming enlightened by the
ever more changing energy world. Alternative energy sources are and will be
used to great extents, but will be a spin - off or spur of superior, small,
efficient and incredibly powerful energy sources and technology that will be
developed possibly in our lifetimes.

SNIP

-------

Yes, I am going to try to reduce my heating oil usage by putting in
solar heating for my water - my roof faces north and south.  Should
happen in the next few weeks...

Chris

At 09:58 -0800 22/1/02, AG Schnozz wrote:

>I'm very interested in solar power for both heating (air/water)
>and for electricity production.  Unfortunately retrofit costs
>are very high so we have been addressing the situation on the
>consumption side.  Still can't get my wife to turn the computer
>off when she is done with it, but that is a small concession.

snip

--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, England.

---------------------------------------

if you use any generators other than electric and happen to have diesel
vehicles, BIODIESEL is the way to go. There is a little in the UK, but due to
poor policy (and lack of oilseed prdocuce from the domestic feedstocks as well
as lack of imports for biodiesel produce) there's not a lot around.

However, the US are users of biodiesel - but should be using more as their soy
and rapeseed produce is massive, especially when considering there fossil fuel
consumptions. Plus they are world dominators in oilseed produce (mainy from
soy).

On the contrary, solar is pretty old and hasnt enjoyed much political support.
Government funding has been supporting many pilot projects and commecial,
residential and industrial applications - but not to the extent to reduce
overall international energy consumption (of fossil fuels, hence coal) by even
1%.  On the contrary, Hydro is pretty big - about 12 - 15% worldwide.

Widespread, global deployment of alternative energy technologies (such as
solar) is dependant on basically on their cost(s) and the competition against
old (conventional and presently greater revenue earning) technolgy against new
(trialed technology that hasnt proved to the market, government officials and
the worlds richest organisations and people, even though research shows it is
more beneficial to ecological and economic prosperity).

1) The ramining supply of fossil fuels, hence the presence of conventional
energy technologies

2) The price of conventional fuels and their technologies

4) The chance of more efficient and increasingly technologically competitive
energy sources and technologies being innovated and invented (watch out for
fusion! in the near future - Japan R&D is incredible)

3) The emphasis of world-wide governments, hence, policy and legislation
(competition, energy and environmental policy)

4) Reducing the costs to society such as those related to ecological and human
health (eg, negative externalities such as cancer and acid rain)

5) The development of a new and improved economy (increasing socio-economic
equity, less resource dependant - material possesive society such as the west)

6) Radical change that is needed throughout human conciousness in order to
benefit one another, the planet and homogenous psyche in all (eg, attitiude,
breakdown of society's conceptual framework, ethics, religion, spirituality et
cetera).

Hope that helps,

any more Q's - just ask!

Damo

Damon Wood
Dip. Technology (Applied Science)
Advanced Manufacturing Technology Centre (AMTC)
Sustainable Development (BSc)
Undergraduate Student
Murdoch University
Secretary M.C.C. WASTCA