Re: [OM] Printing Resolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Printing Resolution?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:59:30 +0000
At 16:35 1/27/02, Joel Wilcox wrote (in part):

If the shadowy skin textures are grainy with a lot of red, this could also be scanner noise. This kind of noise will also be exacerbated by sharpening.
[other possibilities snipped out]

Joel W.

My experiences with this "enhanced grain" effect are in marginal detail shadow areas of Kodak Photo CD scans of night street shooting. Didn't elaborate on this in my original posting, but suspect the roots of it are in the scans as Joel mentioned.

If you can tweak the scanning some to raise the shadows (at the expense of highlight detail) you might be able to obtain an improvement in shadow details within the limits of the information on the film.

-- John