RE: [OM] Weddings, Funerals, and other Life Events

Subject: RE: [OM] Weddings, Funerals, and other Life Events
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 07:40:35 -0800
While not common now, photographs of the dead, especially of children, were
part of the history of photography (at least in the USA). In many cases it
was the only means by which a family had a "remembrance" of the person. The
expense of early photographs and the long posing times--where the subject
had to remain motionless--contributed to the custom. As a result,
photographers were hired to photograph the dead. Death portraits of children
like these are also known as "Sleeping Beauty" portraits.

A show on the History Channel, I believe it was, recently discussed them.

---
Scott Gomez