[OM] Grey Card use - was reflectors

Subject: [OM] Grey Card use - was reflectors
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 06:55:39 +0000
You put the grey card in the same light as the subject and measure it ... as I understand it. I tried it for the first time yesterday. I was photographing carrier bags (!) for my son's website - this is for his school work in IT. I used my Sekonic L308BII to measure the flash exposure - as an incident reading - but I checked the reflected light reading every so often with a grey card that I got in a magazine some years ago. I laid the card on the subject matter and filled put the meter close enough to "fill the screen" without blocking the light.

Chris

At 07:46 -0800 26/1/02, Mike wrote:
 > .....Use the 18 0ray side with a reflected-light meter at the subject
 position (or in the same light) to get an 'incidence' light reading.....

I'm a newbie at this. Can you give a more detailed explanation of how to
meter with a grey card? Say i want to take a picture of a couple of
people. Do I have one of them hold the card facing the camera? How close
to the card do I take the reading? (with my Sekonic Studio Deluxe) Can I
just spot meter with the OM4? Or do I have it all wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

--
<|_:-)_|>