[OM] grain

Subject: [OM] grain
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:04:46 -0600
"Yes, ICE is not a grain reducer and it does not work with B/W film for
scratch removing too."
ICE does not, and  works via IR compared with color channels, so is good for
color only. ICE Cubed, which is available with certain Nikon and Minolta
consists of ICE, with the addition of two other things, hence "cubed." Added
is ROC, restoration of color, for old, faded slides, and GEM, grain
something-or-other management, which is used to reduce the ugly grain some
of us have seen.

As I mentioned earlier, I used the new Nikon 4000 Wednesday last, scanning
some EPY chromes and some Scala. I had scanned some earlier with the same
scanner, but without GEM, and the grain was the size of paving blocks,
especially on the EPY. I then rescanned with GEM. The difference is
remarkable. There is still some objectionable grain in even colored areas,
but it is liveable. I also scanned the Scala in RGB, and it was smoother,
too.

"All negative I scanned has visible grain at 1x
on monitor, B/W is more grainy."
If you have an opportunity, try the scanner with the GEM.

Bill Pearce