[OM] Cleaning oil off of diaphram blades; repairing iris diaphrams

Subject: [OM] Cleaning oil off of diaphram blades; repairing iris diaphrams
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:25:03 -0500
At 12:12 AM +0000 1/25/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:52:39 -0500
>From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] What to keep when the Digital Day comes
>
>Use a good degreaser like freon if you can find it.  I'm trying to protect
>the environment so I stopped using it 10 years ago.  I use "Blow Off" made
>by AVW.  try  www.blowoff.com
>After removing all the blades and moving parts and cleaning up all the areas
>that are oily, you rebuild everything bone dry.  You don't relube with
>anything.

In the late 1960s, as an impoverished student, I fixed a camera for another
impoverished student.  The problem was that the iris diaphram blades in his
Mamyia 35mm camera didn't move freely, causing random overexposures when the
camera tried to stop down to take a photo, because the blades stuck open.

The problem was not oil.  What had happened was that the holes in the brass
assembly into which the blades fit, swinging on steel pivot pins staked into
the blades, had shrunk slightly (probably due to the accumulation of dirt and
brass dust), pinching the pivot pins.  The solution was to use a very fine
tapered jewler's round file to make the holes slightly larger, for a fit sloppy
enough that the dust and dirt were not trapped.

The hard part in re-assembling the lens was getting the hundred to two hundred
little 1-mm steel balls back into the track forming the ball bearing against
which the helicoid focuser pushed.  The trick was to hold a magnet to a
jewler's screwdriver, magnetically pick up a large chain of balls, lay them
into the track, remove the magnet, then the screwdriver, leaving the balls in
the track.  Tweezers would not have worked at all, and there would have been
little balls everywhere.

Joe Gwinn