Re: [OM] How many messages do you usually keep handy?

Subject: Re: [OM] How many messages do you usually keep handy?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:04:52 -0600
> Hi,
>
> I get the digest only, except when people send me a prior copy of their
> posting.
I have an Outlook Express rule that if a message comes in which has "[OM]"
in it, it moves the message to a separate folder - not cluttering up my
inbox.
The same with the digests.

> What I try to do is snip out the messages of value and save them in a set
of
> text files, and delete the digest. Some of the time. I admit I'm not good
at
> doing it without fail and I have too many digests in my *in tray* awaiting
> processing.
Are you using the FAT32 file system or, FAT16?  In most cases, you are
better of with more large files than many small ones since, depending on
the cluster size of your disk, there are probably occupying at least 8192
bytes
regardless of the size of the file (and probably more).  Depending on how
much
you clip out of the digest, this could be more or less disk space overall.

If you have a finder program that will search the text in zip files,
that would be nearly an optimal solution as, you could keep them in one zip
file and still find things.  Being text, those are probably at least 75%
compressibly.

> For what it's worth, this is what I do with nearly all my program icons
(I'm
> using Windows '95 !!) and I have dozens of them.
>
> I right-click on the desktop and open up a new folder; and re-name it to
> whatever I want. Into this I drag a shortcut icon for whatever it is I
want to
> open from there. (Use explorer to find the txt file, exe file, or whatever
and
> right-click on the file name, create shortcut). Drag the shortcut into the
folder.

Instead, just drag it with the right-hand mouse button to the folder.
When you drop, it it will ask you if you want to move it, copy it, or create
a shortcut.-
I find that much faster.

> When I open explorer, I have it always open in reduced size as a vertical
> panel on the RHS. Thus I can see most of the desktop, and it is easy to
drag
> icons from it into something else.
>
> The important shortcut folders and icons are around the periphery of my
> desktop. Editors, ftp agents, browsers, utilities, FAX manager and so on.
>
> When I run Pegasus and Opera, they are configured to open and run at just
> a bit less than the full screen size, so that around their edge I can see
> enough of the important shortcuts on the desktop for me to be able to open
> them very quickly and without fuss.
Yes, I seldom run anything full-screen.
I also use active window follows mouse pointer so,
I don't have to click to make a window active and on top.  Just move the
mouse there.  However, this was what I was used to on Sun Workstations.  It
drives other people crazy.  It drives me crazy that I have to click on the
window just to see what's going on in it.

> I developed this system out of frustration with Virtual Desktop programs
that
> wouldn't work for me. This works better than they do, and it uses Windows
> own abilities without some arbitrary limitation somebody has dreamed up.
If you create a "desktop" toolbar from the main task bar, it will contain
all of your desktop items.  Place it on one side or the other (or the top)
of the screen.
That makes it easy to get to all of your desktop items icons (set the
properties of this toolbar to:  autohide, NOT always on top, no title.

Jon

P.S.  I'd image that your mail program stores messages inside files rather
than
as individual files.  I don't image that the mail messages are taking up
that much space.
And, I use the search capabilities of the mail program to find what I need.

P.S. II  To each his own.  That's why it's called a P.C. ("Personal
Computer").