[OM] 28-48, grain, and the digest

Subject: [OM] 28-48, grain, and the digest
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:35:24 -0600
On the 28-48, other than the speed, it's quite good, especially considering
it is an S-Zuiko. Up to 8x10, careful examination is required to see a
difference from my primes. Of course, there's always sample variation to
consider.

On B&W grain. Scanning _seems_ to make it worse. I don't claim to understand
this, but some people have the opinion that it is related to the light
source in the scanner. My lab owning friend disagrees, he thinks it's in the
software. I have just been doing some scanning with a Nikon 4000, from EPY
and Scala. In both cases, the grain was alarming. The GEM helped quite a
bit, but a 65 meg scan took around 8 minutes, most of that processing.

And, from this digester, I, too, ask you to clip, clip, clip! for some
reason, the last several days have been dramatically worse, on Tuesday, I
got three digests, with only 3 or 4 new messages.
rant over

Bill Pearce