Re: [OM] Vivitar Lenses (Series 1?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Lenses (Series 1?)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:29:18 EST

> Damn - does that mean that mine is a Series something-else ?  Are they MUCH
> worse ?  All mine says around the front is "62mm; Vivitar; 75-205mm; 1:3.8;
> MC; Macro Focusing Zoom; No.22205xxx"
>
> I also have the cross-matched 2x multiplier to go with it, making a rather
> nice 410 mm lens !!
>
> Can I assume that MC in this case means Multi-Coated ?  I assume that,
> despite only saying f3.8 on it, it is as described in the original mail a
> 3.8 to 4.8 ?  Does it add 2 stops (approx) when adding the 2x multiplier ?
>
> Never had any real complaints about the lens quality.  Always found that
> holding it has been more of an issue !!  Especially with the multiplier on
> it !  And of course, the other issue, is the zoom slides a little too freely
> so if you are pointing it up or down slightly it can drift while taking the
> picture !!  (maybe that's just mine ?!)
>
> Jon

Vivitar lenses (non series-1) are generally adequate, and may very well vary
in quality from "fair" to "very good".
Vivitar Series-1 lenses, in my experience are top-quality, and are much
better than the 'regular' Vivitar line.
A "MC" designation on a lens, does in fact mean "multi-coated".
If your lens says only "1:3.8" after the zoom range on the lens, then, you
can assume that it's a straight 3.8, meaning it's a 3.8 at 75mm and stays 3.8
up to and including 205mm. That would indicate, IMO, that it is a quality
lens, and the manufacturer did not take a 'shortcut' in its design.
Generally, any lens that starts at f/ 3.8 , that you place a 2X on, it'll
become (in your instance) a 410mm f/ 7.6
Also keep in mind, that the lens manufacturer my take some 'liberties' in
describing a lens's speed- up to say- 100f a lens's claimed speed. So
figure on yours to be roughly an f/ 8 with the doubler.

It is very difficult to track a third-party lens' lineage. Certain years
means another manufacturer (maybe Kiron for example) made some of Vivitar's
Series 1 lenses, other years they did not. Also- Vivitar was known to have
different speeds of lenses in the same zoom range, and, hence, different
quality.
All-in-all, you won't go wrong with a Series-1 lens. And, if you have no
complaints with your 'regular' Vivitar lenses, then don't worry, be happy!

Best,
George S